Stock-Keeping Unit (SKU) is a unique numerical identifying number that refers to a specific stock item. The SKU is often used to identify the product and the various components associated with it such as the price, discount, or availability.
In Book4Time, while adding a product item, you must associate an appropriate SKU type to it. It helps the system apply the SKU's functions to the sale item in the POS screen.
The following default SKU types are available while creating products from Admin > Product Maintenance:
- Product: Use this SKU to set up retail products that are sold to customers from the POS screen.
- Professional: Use this SKU for products that are used for performing services. Professional products are not available for sale to guests.
- Book4Time G.C.: Use this SKU to setup Gift Cards and Gift Certificates.
Note: A default Book4Time G.C. SKU named "gc" has been created for you.
- Gratuity or tip: Use this SKU to setup gratuity. This is the amount of money given directly to the technician for performing a service.
- House Charge: Use this SKU to setup deposits where guests prepay for services not yet received. When a House Charge SKU is sold, the guest's On Account balance gets credited.
- Service Charge: Use this SKU to setup Service Charges. Service charges are commonly used in instances where a mandatory fee is charged to all customers with appointments and can be used in addition to gratuity.
- Other: Use this SKU to manage other products or SKUs besides those instances listed above.
- Delivery: Use this SKU to calculate the cost of shipping gift certificates.