To ensure that you are always booking by the least utilized technician, you can set up the Scheduler to automatically update the technician sort order based on the utilization. This is termed as Equity Booking in Book4Time.
Depending on the request type for a service, technician utilization is treated differently. For example, a technician is considered less utilized when it is a request versus a non-request appointment. This ensures that bookings are evenly distributed among therapists.
What does the utilization sort order apply to?
Once setup, the technicians are sorted from the least utilized to the most utilized. This displays on the Scheduler, Central Search, while creating group bookings, and online bookings.
Set up Technician Utilization or Equity Booking
This is a two-step process:
- Set the Default Sort Order to Utilization: Enable the scheduler to sort technicians based on technician utilization by default. Read: Select Utilization as the Default Sort Order
- Set up the technician utilization calculation: Set up the utilization calculation based on technician request type. You can further define if you want the utilization to calculate based on Service Type or Service Duration. Read: Configure Technician Utilization Calculation
How does technician utilization work?
- When the Default sort order is set to Utilization, the Scheduler, by default, always displays results based on technician utilization.
To temporarily re-sort the technician sort order, the user can simply select the technician sort order using the More Options on the Scheduler.
- Utilization is calculated on a points system. The points are derived based on the setup under Equity Booking. This is valid only if the Default sort order is set to Utilization.
- The least utilized technician or technician with the lowest points appears first and the most utilized appear later.
- Only technicians with open work schedules and who are available are considered and sorted on the Scheduler.
- Preferred technicians (selected in the customer’ profile for a service group) always appear first even if they are most utilized.